Format: MS-WORD Chapters: 1-5
Pages: 90 Attributes: COMPREHENSIVE RESEARCH
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Table of contents
1.1 Background to the study
1.2 Statement of the problem
1.3 Objectives of the study
1.4 Research questions
1.5 Significance of the study
1.6 Scope and Limitation of the study
1.7 Definition of terms
2.0 Literature review
2.1 Conceptual definitions of serials acquisition
2.2 Serials of management practices in university libraries
2.3 Effect of information technology on serials management in university libraries
2.4 Serials acquisition and management policy of Federal University, Lokoja
2.4.2. Serials management policy
2.5 Problems of serials management and use in university libraries
2.6 Theoretical framework
2.6.1 Information richness theory
2.6.2 Information seeking behaviour theory
3.0 Research methodology
3.1 Brief history of Federal University, Lokoja
3.2 Research design
3.3 Population of the study
3.4 Sample and sampling size
3.5 Methods of data collection
3.6 Method of data analysis
4.0 Presentation and analysis of data
4.1 Presentation of data
4.2 Data analysis
4.3 Discussion of findings
5.0 Summary, conclusion and recommendations
This research work evaluates the acquisition and
management of serials in academic library in Kogi state using the Federal
University Lokoja as a case study. The study outlines and analyses the process
for serials acquisition and management. The main objective of the study is to
ascertain and address the challenges affecting acquisition and management in
the library of the university under study. It looks at the importance of these
items, procedure for purchasing them and arranging them. The methodology
combines both primary and secondary sources the primary sources are in form of
qualitative data through interviews and questionnaire to the school’s
librarians and the students. These are then analysed in sub-themes using
objective inferences. The secondary sources include reviewed literature from
published articles by experts in the subject. Conclusion was made and
recommendations proffered including a review of relevant literatures from
textbooks, journals, newspapers/magazines etc. The project recommends more
strategic investments in library holdings through wider linkage with online
library service providers in a manner that ensures increasing service quality
to all categories of library users. The universities and library managements
should ensure that the accompanying IT hardware and software are adequately
provided for in the budget. The research will help universities and library
managements understand and respond appropriately to the changing needs of the
1.1 BACKGROUND TO THE STUDY
The goal of every academic library is to support the current and anticipated teaching, learning and research service activities of the institution through provision of all relevant information resources, facilities, services and personnel. However, the constraints relating to problem of serials acquisition and management has been the major factor confronting libraries in meeting service delivery to academic community and the public especially within the growing trend of e-library.
The academic library is a key focal point for teaching, learning and research activities. According to Hayles (2003), university libraries are established to serve as support to faculties in their teaching, research and learning activities.
To achieve this primary role, University libraries ensure that the appropriate serials is selected based on acquisition policy of the institution, selected serials acquired and processed. Oni (2004) described the unit responsible for serials operation in the library as serials unit. Mullis (1992) grouped operations in serials unit into acquisition, cataloguing, classification, retrieval, accessibility, use and preservation.
However, acquisition of serials in Nigeria Universities especially Federal University Lokoja libraries is besieged with problems. These problems are those related to cost of serials, selection tools, nature of serials and subscription decision.
Mason (2007) points out that the problems faced by academic librarians in effort to maintain their serials collection presently include explosion in academic research, budgetary cutback, lack of storage space, increase in price of academic publication, cost of binding and exchange rate. As a result, librarians find it difficult to maintain subscription to all the journals that their scholars want to have access to. To him, solution could be sought through commitment, perseverance, creativity and public relations.
Preliminary survey of users revealed that some university libraries are not providing the needed serials to the University community. Furthermore, the paucity of internet facilities in some of these Universities poses an obstacle to scholars accessing the available online serials. Again, there has not been any work among new generation federal Universities in Nigeria to ascertain the activities involved in serials acquisition and impediments to the acquisition of serials by these libraries. In effect, this study seeks to probe into series of means and modalities used by Federal University Lokoja in acquisition and management serials looking through the prism of her library policies and programmes.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
Academic libraries all over the world are established to support their parent institutions in actualising their objectives teaching, learning and research in different formats hence, they are in the continuous business of acquiring new publications to make current its holdings as well as discounting the outdated issues to give the library users higher value for money. However, no library not even the largest and most comprehensive can fulfil all its users’ needs hence, the quest for more material and resources which is however limited either by resources or problem accessibility and management.
Among the major operations for making serials available and accessible is acquisition, processing management. Though every university library in Nigeria gives focus to this important research material, no research has been conducted to determine the activities in acquisition and management acquisition and management and impediments to effective operation in serials acquisition and management of the Federal University Lokoja. This work seeks to bridge this gap especially with growing move to providing electronic access. Hence, the following research questions were raised to guide the study.
1. What are the most common types of serials in the library of Federal University Lokoja?
2. What are the major constraints to the management of serials in the library of the university?
3. What are the relevance of serials acquisition programmes of the university?
1.3 OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
This research work aims at exploring the significance, importance and necessity of serials acquisition and management in academic library with particular reference to the Federal University Lokoja and by so doing will address possible future applications. This exploration will occur by critically reviewing empirical and conceptual literature on this subject. Against this, the specific aims and objectives of the study is to:
i. Identify the activities in serials acquisition.
ii. Find out the problems that hinder acquisition of serials in Federal University Lokoja library.
iii. Identify serials processing activities in Federal University Lokoja library.
iv. Determine the differences in serials processing activities of the Federal University Lokoja with other universities.
v. Ascertain the impediments to effective serials acquisition and management activities of university libraries.
1.4 RESEARCH QUESTIONS
1. What are the activities involved in serials acquisition and management in Federal University Lokoja?
2. Is there any significant or unique difference in serials acquisition and management policies of the university?
3. What are the prospects of effective serials acquisition and management of Federal University Lokoja library?
4. What are the impediments to effective serials acquisition and management of Federal University Lokoja library?
5. What are the solution to problems identified in serials acquisition and management of Federal University Lokoja library?
1.5 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
At least there are two major ways in which this study may contribute to knowledge and the practices of serials acquisition and management in the university educational system. Firstly, the theoretical base of this study. derived from a review of literature contributes to knowledge by establishing common conceptions and principles and circumscribing the extent to which serials can contribute to teaching, learning, research and development of the institution and the nation at large.
Secondly, the principles and strategies recommended by this study should be applied or at least set the stage for involving relevant stakeholders into appropriate strategies towards effective serial management in universities, with specific reference to administration of both the library staff, academic staff, students and other researchers in order to attain the gaols of providing and developing the needed human capital for national development.
Against this, it is hoped that this study will serve as basis for better policy and decision-making concerning serials acquisition and management in the Federal University Lokoja and as well contribute to body of knowledge and serves as reference materials for scholars and researchers in this and/or related fields of study.
The result of the research will also assist Committee of University Librarians in Nigerian Universities (CULNU) in discussing modalities for harmonising serials operations towards consortium building. Newly established university libraries will apply the results in setting up and organizing serials policy operations. Donor agencies will be informed of the impediments to serials processing in Nigeria, which will help them aid these libraries. The results will also add to the available literature on serials operations in developing countries for the education of library and information science professionals.
1.6 SCOPE AND LIMITATION OF THE STUDY
The study was exploratory in nature. Therefore, the scope entailed reviewing and comparing the existing literature in serials acquisition and management mechanisms in academic libraries in Nigeria. The study covers only Federal University Lokoja as representative sample of other universities as well as other institutions of higher learning in Nigeria. The following also provides the limitations to this study.
i. Inadequate time to conduct an in-depth research into the subject matter of this study.
ii. Inadequate funds, particularly at the initial stage of this research.
iii. The response from the staff of the university was not encouraging. Some of the respondents could not respond to questions asked promptly.
1.7 DEFINITION OF TERMS
- Acquisition: It is the act of procuring and obtaining materials. This is the act of acquiring knowledge or books that are relevant to users. The acquisition department or section is the only gateway to any library’s collection development. Acquisition can be seen as acquiring of qualitative relevant information resources to meet the need of users and the objectives of the library. For the acquisition section to function effectively, a solid foundation must be laid through the formulation of written articulate acquisition policy.
- Serials Acquisition: It is a continuous process in the library in a covered core title of serials publication relevant to the course of study in the university. Budget and curriculum were the main factors taken into consideration on acquiring the serials publications. The acquisition was mainly targeted to meet concrete expression of demand or in anticipation of demand based upon knowledge of subject field or proposed courses to be run so as to meet the information needs of the students and staff with minimal delay.
- Serials Management: This is the totality of all measures for maintaining the integrity of documents and information contained in them. These include all the managerial and financial considerations, storage, staffing level, policies, techniques and methods involved in safeguarding and making documentary materials available for easy access and apt.
- Library Management: Library manager broadly defined include all the things that go on from time a group of citizens establishes a library to serve its need to the moment that library does something which helps a citizen. The objective of the institution and its methods, it facilities and personnel are involved.
- Library Policy: It can simply be defined as a guide to the operations and management of library. It serves to maintain standards and avoid inconsistencies. It is used to measure the extent to which a library performs its functions and meet its objectives as well as its systems and services.
- Preservation: It is an act of preserving something from decay be it food or books etc. in this context, we are dealing precisely with newspapers/magazines. Preservation is the activities associated with maintaining library information resources for use either in original forms or other ways.
Hayles, O. (2003). Issues in Library Serials. Lagos:
Mason, B. (2007). A Few Aspects of Acquiring Serials.
Illinois, MacBeta Books.
Mullis, P. (1992). Forms of Serials and their Management.
Abuja: Anita Ltd.
Oni, S. (2004). State of Journals in Nigeria, Ilorin: Amco
and Sons Nigeria Limited.
|BANKING AND FINANCE||11|
|CONSTRUCTION AND BIULDING||1|
|ELECTRICAL AND ELECTRONICS||1|
|ENGLISH LITERARY STUDIES||29|
|GEOGRAPHY AND PLANNING||1|
|HOM SCIENCE AND MANAGEMENT||3|
|LIBRARY AND INFORMATION SCIENCE||4|
|OFFICE TECHNOLOGY AND MANAGEMENT||21|
|SCIENCE LABORATORY TECHNOLOGY||19|
|SOIL AND ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE||1|
No data found...